The Jacksons’ Victory Tour performance in Toronto in 1984 is our Throwback Thursday.
It’s the 30th anniversary of The Jacksons’ Victory Tour, the final tour for the group before Michael officially left. The Victory Tour was marred by a number of controversies, including a ticket-lottery system that failed, tension between Michael and his brothers and financial disasters for one of the promoters and his father. Despite this, it became the highest grossing tour of all time and provided a spectacle for both Jacksons fans and those out to see Michael fresh off his Thriller success (although the latter added to the family tension).
But let’s not focus purely on the negatives (as we’d be here all day). As an example of 80s fashion and stellar performances, the Victory Tour had it all, from the sparkling sequins of Michael’s numerous outfits to shiny leather worn by Jackie, Marlon, Tito, Jermaine and Randy. And of course, this was the last opportunity to see the brothers together (and inversely the first time as a 6-piece on stage) with Michael at his peak. Notable performances include This Place Hotel, The Jackson 5 Medley and Billie Jean.
Stream it below and peep the set list after the jump.
- Sword in the Stone” Introduction (00:44)
- Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ (08:42)
- Things I Do for You (14:05)
- Off the Wall (17:56)
- Ben/Human Nature (21:59)
- This Place Hotel (26:48)
- She’s Out of My Life (32:04)
- Jermaine Jackson Medley: Let’s Get Serious, Dynamite, Tell Me I’m Not Dreamin’ (Too Good to Be True) (36:27)
- The Jackson 5 Medley: I Want You Back, The Love You Save, I’ll Be There (49:15)
- Rock with You (55:16)
- Lovely One (01:01:04)
- Workin’ Day and Night (01:10:16)
- Beat It (01:23:00)
- Billie Jean (01:31:25)
- Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) (01:38:05)
(Photo courtesy of MJPC)