In the first of a new series, we take a look at the latest hip hop news and the numbers connected to them.
We always associate hip hop with words, sounds and even art but never numbers but they play a part, humorously or otherwise. Here are some rap stats to get your dome around.
- 3/10 (or 10/3 for the Americans) – The date Black Thought, Talib Kweli and A$ap Rocky were born (1971, 1975 and 1988, respectively)
- $200 – The amount Petey Pablo was paid to appear on hit TV show Empire as part of debt repayment by lead character Terrence Howard
- 38,000,000 – Number of streams of Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly
- 94 – The number of artists featured in The Periodic Table Of Hip Hop, a new book by Neil Kulkarni [via]
- 40 – Number of minutes Childish Gambino sat on stage in Australia before performing before fans started booing [via]
- 50,000 – The number of books Pharrell Williams will be donating to young readers in association with Young Penguin Readers [via]
- 6 – The time in weeks Janet Jackson’s “No Sleeep” has stayed at #1 on Adult R&B Songs, becoming her longest-running #1 on the chart